Definitely, over our heads.

Let's hope we all survive!

Friday, July 8, 2011

Home Sweet Home...almost.

We are currently in the midst of primering. (Or perhaps priming?)  Unfortunately, this results in a huge mess.  Below, you'll see exhibit A...

My hand after day 1.



And, exhibit B...

Child Labor Laws obviously don't apply at the Tverdy house...

I've been able to cover most of the walls in two days.  Mark went over tonight after work and worked on covering the ceilings.  Most definitely a "boy job".  I still have to go around the edges, but hopefully, we can finish up by tomorrow. 

We decided that since we had to primer the new drywall, we should primer the existing house as well.  Our reason?  Well, let's just say when we bought the house it had a bit of a "funk".  We are covering walls, ceilings and any sub-floor we didn't pull up with Kilz.  Now, if you have never used Kilz, let me warn you.  When they say you should use a ventilator mask, they aren't kidding.  However, we did not opt for the ventilator route.  Since it is an oil based primer, it also does not clean up as easily as latex paint.  I've taken 3 showers, and still can't get most of it off.  My skin is not very happy with the scrubbing for sure.

On the new addition, we didn't have to use Kilz, so the photos of the girls helping is the okay to breathe stuff.  I actually didn't even let them come over while I was using Kilz.  They did an okay job for their first time painting.  They may have a way to go before I can hire them out though...

Another exciting thing happened today.  They created space for our new door to the patio and poured our step.  I decided to drive our contractor crazy and write in his pristine concrete.  I warned him ahead of time, and so they were nice enough to leave a little space for me.


This is the before picture of where the door is going:




And here is the "almost" after...

You may notice that the wall to the right is gone. 
That's one of my favorite changes.
It makes the whole space seem so much bigger!
We really are getting closer.  I don't know that either of us can see the finish line, but we are moving at a pretty rapid pace.  After we prime, we move on to door installation, painting, flooring, trim, cabinets, light fixtures, tile and I think the last piece of the puzzle is the granite counter-tops.  I'm really hoping we can move in around the first or second week of August.  I'd like to be mostly settled before the girls go back to school August 23rd.

This obviously isn't my wittiest, or most exciting blog post, but I'm just plain exhausted.  So, look at the pretty pictures, and pretend you've been entertained.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment